29 November 2010

Dashe Late Harvest Zinfandel 2007

I will preface by saying that Dashe Late Harvest Zinfandel 2007 is in my top three wines, and is definitely my Number One dessert wine.  Ever since being introduced to it in late 2008 I have always bought it up on sight.  Late-harvested wines are wines that are literally harvested later than usual, which allows the flavors and sugars to concentrate in the grapes.  The technique is often used in Rieslings (indeed, Germany has a classification system for denoting just how late the harvest was), but it shows its power with the Zinfandel grape in this 375mL bottle from Sonoma.

The wine is deep ruby in color, nearly opaque, with a heavy, luscious body.  It displays a powerful bouquet of honey and cider, though it is not cloying.

The mouthfeel is silky and heavenly.  The first flavor hit is of strong berries, followed by a honey note that lingers throughout.  It's a surprisingly complex wine and expressed several fruit flavors as it travelled the palate, ending in a short, sweet finish in which one can taste the residual grape sugars.

I served the wine at the "Fakesgiving" dinner I shared with friends.  It was enjoyed with apple pie - the cinnamon of the apple pie exploded in my mouth when it met the wine, a truly delightful combination.

Right now I have four bottles of Dashe Late Harvest Zinfandel left, but I believe I have found a new source and can hopefully restock.  It sells for about $25 per 375mL bottle.

---

Books: Still reading Stuff.  It's a truly fascinating read.

Bottles: Nothing new to report.

Writing: Just transfered my writing onto the new computer (which I have stopped love-hating and now just love - ahh, I've given in), so plan on enjoyed it some tonight, though it depends on when I get home.

Guitar: Worked a lot on "Hey You" today.  Also broke out "Money" and "Us and Them" to revisit - I think I'm good enough now to play along to the solo in "Money" at full speed.  I will try that tomorrow.