13 November 2010

Alamos Malbec 2009

I have been enjoying Alamos Malbec 2009 for the last few days.  Made from 100% Malbec grapes, grown in the Mendoza region of Argentina, tt is one of my go-to table wines, good for drinking alone or with most foods.  Also, more importantly, it’s less than $15 a bottle – recently I saw it on sale for only $9, but usually it runs $12-13.  Either way, it’s a good deal and a good wine.

Garnet-colored, it’s a medium bodied wine, with scents of cloves and berries.  It had a supple mouth feel.  It was fruit forward, with soft tannins and tastes of stone fruits.  It was not very complex, but felt very young and vibrant.

I’ve enjoyed it with a number of foods – chicken, beef, fish – and it’s held up well to all of them, though I have found it does best with beef, especially simply-prepared sirloins with sautéed vegetables.

A well made wine, it’s far from reaching the upper echelons, but it’s one of the best wines I’ve found in its price category, and that counts for a lot!

---

Books: Reading So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

Bottles: Alamos Malbec 2009.

Writing:  500 words on Chapter 3.  Then the wine hit me and I got sleepy and went to bed.  Will finish up the chapter today.

Guitar: None today, I have been remiss.